Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Upon Closer Inspection...

Dragoon hit 80 last Friday. I didn't really get to toy around with it much until the next day due to level sync and I haven't really put all my thoughts together on how the level cap increase has affected this job aside from a few quick blurbs. Dragoon was a focal point in the update notes from the various job adjustments SE had lined up for it. Many believed it was going to become a TP powerhouse, myself included. I didn't get my hopes up too high though as I knew the changes looked good on paper, but often times, how they play out in game is a completely different matter.

First I'll go over the job adjustments themselves.

Spirit Jump

I'm still not sure what "suppresses enmity" means. I've done a little testing and from what I can tell, strictly from eyeballing, it looks like it does nothing to enmity at all. Granted, I haven't really been able to test that in a better situation like on a Salvage boss or something to that effect, but still, you'd think something would visually clue me in that it does effect enmity somewhere.

The nifty thing about this jump is that it will give you 1.5x your normal TP if your wyvern is out. I didn't notice this when I originally got the Jump. Akeem pointed it out to me a couple days later. I initially thought it was a flat amount of TP instead of a multiplier, but further testing showed otherwise.

The crappy thing about this jump is that it shares the timer with normal Jump. The crappier thing is that it overwrites your Jump merit timers. So now there's a debate. Keep in mind, the debate really hinges on which jump does more damage on average. I still need to do more testing on this facet of it, but it looks like they're about the same regardless of the wyvern being out.

In a 15 minute period, you can get 12 Jumps in against 9 Spirit Jumps if your merit timers are fully merited. While look at 12 vs. 9, it looks like a no-brainer. When you factor in TP gain however...

Jump: 17TP * 3 = 51TP extra gained over a 15 minute period.
Spirit Jump: 9 * 9TP (I hit 17TP/jump, the 50% bonus rounds up I have confirmed). 81TP extra gained over a 15 minute period.

With Carbonara, Spirit Jump basically gives me a free WS over a 15 minute period. Does an extra Drakesbane do more damage than 3 Jumps? Guess it really all depends on what you're fighting. On top of that, there really aren't many battles where a DRG is going to be standing there wailing away for 15 minutes. You get the idea though.

The main reason I bring this up is that there are a number of times where you end up at 99TP just begging for something to hit you or the time between swings and you camping your WS macro just seems to drag on forever. I pretty much view this as allowing a DRG to have a pseudo-5 hit build w/o having to stock up on Store TP gear and that's a good thing.

Now if SE would just fix that whole timer issue...

TP from Spirit Link

Pretty much made the {pettp} function relative to a Dragoon again. As I said in an earlier post, it's pretty much exactly what I thought it'd be. Wyvern usually about 15-20TP when you use it and the master gets half of it. It does work when the Wyvern is at full health and you have Empathy merits as well.

Personally, I would have liked to see them give us basic pet commands outside of "/pet "Dismiss" {me}". Really gets annoying switching targets or having to swing to get the Wyvern to do anything.

Conserve TP

Nice job trait and there's rampant speculation that Dragoon actually has Conserve TP II since level 1 shows up at level 45. I've little to no experience with how this trait actually works, but it's often times compared to Conserve MP.

The thing about this trait is that it's a little irritating. It's nice when it kicks in, but it seems so random in it's values that it's hard to tell when it kicked in and when you missed a WS entirely. In Dynamis the other day, for example. We're fighting a Yagudo Liberator. Typically, on WHM, THF, MNK and PLD beasts, I'll smash my Leg Sweep macro trying to prevent them from 2-houring (or to minimize their effect in the MNK's case...). The Liberator used Perfect Dodge a split second before I hit my macro.

"Qtipus uses Leg Sweep, but missses the Yagudo Liberator."

I was looking at my TP bar when I hit the macro and it returned 16TP like Leg Sweep normally would, but I had missed. This baffled me. I essentially got all of my TP for missing a monster. Not that I'm complaining, but if that's what that trait's capable of, that's awesome. I'm just irritated cause it makes it rather difficult to judge TP return values.

Sonic Thrust

This WS is going to get me in a lot of trouble. Not only is it rather strong, but it's a rather short (guessing 5') front cone AoE. I used it a number of times in Einherjar and Dynamis on crowds of critters and instantly drew an ass-raping, but...

...as crazy as this sounds, I seriously think a group of DRGs and WARs using their spiffy new AoEs could probably wipe out a large number of critters. A well timed sleep or some bouncing hate between shadows and third eye can likely keep people going long enough to prevent any serious damage from occurring.

Onto Subjob-Specifics though...

Dragoon/Samurai

This was the one that had me losing the most room in my pants. I couldn't wait to use Sekkanoki. True to form, that Job Ability is going to get me in a lot of trouble. Back to back Drakesbanes pretty much destroyed anything that I touched in Dynamis. Back to back Leg Sweeps pretty much neutralized Hundred Fists. Back to back Geirskoguls would obviously produce light and something pretty, but still did less damage than back to back Drakesbanes.

When used in conjunction with Meditate and Jumps, it's rather easy to get 3 WS off in a matter of 5-8 seconds. Unfortunately, 3x Geirskogul doesn't make double light. Unless my timing was just off that is...but 99% sure it doesn't.

Note to self: Make sure Super Jump or High Jump are up before popping Sekkanoki.

Double Note to self: Remember you moved your Super Jump macro down one spot to accommodate Spirit Jump...

Dragoon/White Mage

I wasn't looking as forward to this as I was subbing Samurai. This was partly because I thought Haste was level 42 for WHM. Turns out I was wrong and it's 40. In helping Drakus kill leeches the other night for a Katana trial, I discovered DRG now has access to:

Haste
Stona
Teleport-Yhoat
Teleport-Altep
Cura
Barvira
Banishga II

The first 2 spells are absolutely HUGE. Haste lasts the full duration of 3 minutes and appears to be full powered. Stona really needs no explanation. Pretty much anyone subbing WHM just got a spot to help remove statuses against things that like to cast or breath things that petrify you.

(Looking at you Gi'Ghi Rockchopper, Jailer of Temperance and Jailer of Faith!)

The teleports are a nice way to transport around, but too little, too late unless you've not done any FoV's. Cura is rather interesting in the sense that I can pretty much AoE wake people for half the cost now. The rest are just meh. Looking ahead, the rest of the spells from /WHM that I look forward to are Cure IV, Repose and Flash.

Dragoon/Red Mage

I didn't tinker with this subjob much. I mostly just wanted to use convert. Might prove useful if a group is overloaded with melee and not enough support. Nothing really noteworthy in the spell list either between 38-40 unless you like Ice Spikes...

Depending on how they handle the implementation of Refresh from a subjob, this could be the subjob of choice by the time the cap is raised to 99. I may still prefer /WHM to this given the fact that I can remove a lot more of the potential status effects I encounter while out soloing, but it may be that a fully powered Refresh, Haste and Convert from /RDM tips the scales.

Other Subs (BLU, DRK, WAR, SCH, etc)

I've never subscribed to the notion of DRG/BLU. The reasons are A) I'm cheap and don't want to burn an RR item, B) I'm reckless and always need to have RR up, C) Really don't like having to rely on items and TP to remove status effects and D) Really don't think BLU offers anything outside of Cocoon that makes it worth leveling. In short, there really isn't much of anything I've seen out of /BLU that makes me believe it's better than subbing WHM or RDM.

DRG/SCH is pretty much in the same boat to me. Aside from using Accession + -Nas, /WHM and /RDM seemingly do it better. Sublimination was nice until Convert became accessible. DRG/WAR and DRG/DRK just seemingly found faster ways to get themselves killed.

And before anyone asks, DRG/DNC isn't even on my radar.

Conclusion

What I think came out of this update more than anything is that Dragoon simply became a lot more flexible than it used to be. You could effectively say that about most jobs, but from a soloing and role standpoint, Dragoon gained access to a number of useful things that definitely make it easier to fulfill certain points in party setups.

I don't believe Dragoon was put over the top in terms of spike damage output. SAM, WAR and DRK are still the kings of that, but it did close the gap quite a bit by virtue of that extra WS that's gained not only from Sekkanoki, but from the little TP tweaks we got. Having a DRG/WHM around might give your mage a little bit of a breather in low man situations as well.

It's definitely changed how the job is play. Not drastically, but enough for me to feel like I'm learning something new on a daily basis about it again and that's a lot of fun in and of itself.

3 comments:

  1. Here are my comments on the above points along with my own observations.

    - Spirit Jump
    I've fairly certain now that the "suppresses enmity" feature refers to a Stealth Shot-like buff that gives an overall enmity reduction for the attack. With the large amounts of soloing I've been doing for my Gungnir trials (@1792 remaining on 1851 as of this comment) I've observed that if I open with a Spirit Jump my wyvern will easily take hate when it engages, even if the jump double attacked. One melee swing generally balances things out though.

    Also, the damage output is less than Jump, most likely because it lacks a VIT modifier. While it does sport a lower overall dps even without the merit timer issue, if it double attacks the final TP total receives the 1.5x TP bonus. That makes for a large amount of TP gained from a very low enmity attack. I would see an optimal setup using as much Double Attack and Store TP as possible in order to boost the TP gain from this ability.

    - TP from Spirit Link
    If nothing else, it's extremely useful while competing these relic trials. You know how frustrating it is when you whiff that Geirskogul at ~20%. Thankfully when fighting the lowest of EP mobs we're not using Healing Breath very often, leaving large stores of TP available in the case of a miss. I'll Spirit Link immediately after missing and take a second shot. Of course there are occasions I'll miss the second WS as well, but that is neither here nor there.

    When using an offensive sub, the greatest benefit is seen when using Spirit Link after you score a killshot, sometimes even gaining enough to WS at the start of the next mob.

    - Conserve TP
    Not much else to add here. Extra TP is pure win.

    - Sonic Thrust
    I like it. I can make it perform well. Most of all, I can (usually) use it without getting myself killed. I've always been fairly sensitive to my positioning, so it's not hard to use it to success, unlike the radial WoE weapon skills out there. Seems to have an inverse enmity mod attached as well, so good for opening a fight.

    - Sekkanoki
    Performs as expected. Drakesbane > Sonic Thrust is Distortion, so another skillchain opportunity.

    You're correct that you can't chain 3 Geirskoguls together and make Double Light. Technically Geirskogul IS Light, and Light > Light = Double Light. There isn't any weapon skill (yet) that chains with Double Light.

    - DRG/WHM
    I'm loving self-haste, again mostly with the trial process. It makes things so much easier. Extra teleports are nice, and I'm sure Cura and Stona will shine when I find myself in situations that warrant having them.

    - Conclusion
    Overall I'm extremely satisfied with the results of this update. I really missed leveling up and improving my DRG, so the cap increase and added abilities/traits was perfectly timed. I can't wait to see what they throw at us in September.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Out of curiosity, what'd you hit up for trial 1850? I'm looking right now at either spending a lot of time in Ro'Maeve or just organizing a ton of Despot and Ulli runs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent ridiculous amounts of time in Ro'Maeve. I'd grab Page 1 from the FoV book and do laps around the EP levels killing everything in my path. I got a ton of merits and exp doing this, and if you keep your inventory clear you can make some good bank off of scrolls and pot/doll shards. At 80 with FoV food I was able to reliably killshot from ~25% on weapons and ~20% on pots and dolls. For 1851 I'm killing the 6 Tulwar Scorpions and 3 Monarch Ogreflies in the SW corner of Attohwa Chasm where Sargas pops.

    ReplyDelete

Qtipus' Information

FFXI subscriber since NA release.