Monday, October 12, 2009

Dark Knight

So it has begun.

I determined a while ago that Dark Knight would be my next job to 75 followed up by either BLM or COR. In prepping for this particular venture, I discovered something that I hadn't really given much thought to...

I really f***ing hate farming for coffer keys.

The lead up to this is relatively simple. I got DRK to 37 a long while ago.

"But Q, you have DRG, WHM and PLD at 75, what purpose do you have for leveling DRK to 37?"

Well, it's a fun job and, before the 2H update, my thought process was along the lines of trying to figure out different ways I could boost DRG's damage in zerg situations.

Yeah I know...LOLDRG/DRK!!

Anyway, I have pretty much all the gear necessary for a 75DRK thanks to my DRG shenanigans. Full Ares, full N.Gear set (although the quest for Cursed Cap-1 still continues...0/12 currently), full homam, etc. Just need the weapons and whatnot.

It takes a while for me to get into the mood for leveling. I knew I wanted to level DRK, but I didn't want to put the party together or spend a ton of time in parties just yet. So for the past few weeks, I've been dumping XP scrolls and campaign ops into it. I ended up taking it from 37 to barely into 42 this way. That gets boring pretty quickly...

Given this, I went ahead and put a party together over the weekend consisting initially of:

Kaelis (PLD), Erimentha (RDM), Phacia (SCH), Kreoss (DRG), Mimitsu (BRD) and myself on DRK.

Phacia was our level sync anchor. We sync'd up at level 30 and headed out to do beetles in Eastern Altepa Desert. About an hour into the party, Kreo dc'd due to a power outage, so we picked up Leanaci as a temporary replacement until Kay could get there. About an hour after Kay got there, Phacia had to leave for work, so I got Mexibishe to come replace him on DNC. Now our party looks like this:

Kaelis (PLD), Erimentha (RDM), Faisa (DNC), Mimitsu (BRD), Kaylea (DRG) and myself on DRK.

Eri was our Level Sync anchor at this point. We stayed in the desert until she hit 37, then moved to East Ronfaure [S] where we partied until Eri hit 42. What's remarkable about this party is that Eri started the party right at 31. I started just barely into 42. When the party was done, Kaelis and I were both 50, Faisa and Mimi had picked up a number of merits, Kay went from something like 53-58 and Eri went from 31-42.

We also had a PL assist from Tohmane, although I suspect he was mostly there to keep Mimitsu alive...

*cough*WHIPPED*cough*

Anyway, back to my original statement.

Being at level 50, that obviously opens up the AF quests for a job. I have 3 jobs at 75 and have done the AF quest for them multiple times, so why this revelation is just now dawning on me is beyond me, but...

I really do hate farming for coffer keys.

I ended up spending 3+ hours in Davoi last night killing the piss out of every orc I could find with no luck. I even had Kay up there as RDM/THF and Suraph up there with TH3 helping out to no avail.

I thought SE fixed those coffer key drop rates.

Once I get past this stumbling block, the push to 75 will begin. If you thought I had issues staying alive on DRG, wait until you see DRK :)

2 comments:

  1. ....and so it begins.....
    Like at the end of the old Arnold Swartznegger Conan films.....

    "But that is another story"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had already capped out on moats for the day/night, so I didn't have anything better to do ingame after you kidnapped Mimi. And Final Destination 2 was on, so I had a sufficient distraction source besides Fish Wrangler that made me endure the boredom that is PLing :P

    ReplyDelete

Qtipus' Information

FFXI subscriber since NA release.