Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Legendary Fuckups

I don't know if anyone has a collection of these anywhere, but from time to time, you hear of legendary fuckups that end up costing a group of people something they want. The guy that's subbin' THF that attacks a wyrm from behind and spikeflails their group. The guy that enters limbus and immediately starts attacking shit before everyone gets in. The guy that enters Dynamis w/o distributing the glass. Things of that nature.

Yeah I joined that group last night in prepping for Odin.

Our troubles between Odins this time seemed to be rather higher than usual. Between a lot of late starts, bickering, hacked mule accounts and rooms that just refused to use lube, it really seemed like I was postponing Odin for a lot longer than we actually did.

So we're together for the most part and ready to start on time. About 15 minutes before the run starts, I get a tell from Idalis asking how long until start.

Normally when someone asks me that question, they're about to AFK for however long I say minus one minute, so I'll often times avoid answering that question cause that just pisses me off something fierce.

This time, I answered Idalis mainly because he showed up as the wrong job. Nevermind the fact that it was in the /lsmes and on the forums. He still managed to show up as the wrong job. On top of that...

...he showed up as BLM.

We've done something like 20 Odins and there's exactly ONE person I've ever let come as a BLM (only job she has leveled). I've made it pretty clear throughout our 1.5 years of Einherjar history that BLMs are damn near completely useless on Odin.

So now I'm thoroughly annoyed. Fortunately, we had a member who hadn't used their coat-warp yet, so I send them back with Idalis while he changes to the job we wanted him there as. He still had time to change and get back before we were insanely late.

"Insanely late = More than 10 minutes."

What does that have to do with the title and intro to this post though?

Depends on your perspective. I often times like to try to find reasoning in why things happen through the series of events that lead up to the happening itself. I personally don't blame Idalis for this, but some would say this distracted me enough to cause this to happen. These are the sorts of things that happen pretty much every run. Someone's late and I'm trying to find replacements. Someone on the wait list needs the clear on that particular wing and I'm trying to find someone to boot. The list goes on and on and it's not exactly an easy thing for one person to handle most of the time. Point is, it's stuff that I'm not unaccustomed to dealing with.

After Idalis job changes and Zerolzero warps them both back to Nashmau, I inexplicably broke the lamp from Dantess (who had our feathers).

Now I'm super pissed.

I haven't ever done that before. Out of the 157 runs our group has done in the past 1.5 years, I've busted the lamp via mules or myself probably 140 of them. I didn't panic, but I had to make a decision pretty quickly. Do I...

A) Bust ass breaking the lamp further and leave Idalis and Zerolzero out of the run?

or

B) Pray that I didn't get subjected to the 72 hour cool down since I didn't actually ENTER the room or lose the feathers.

I opted for B.

If it had just been Idalis out there, I would have left him no question because he failed to pay attention and was already causing us to be late. Since I sent Zerol back though, I didn't feel it was right to essentially punish him for Idalis' fuck up and more importantly, punish him for my fuck up.

I had Zerol bring me another lamp on his way back out just in case the 72 hour cool down didn't happen.

"You cannot enter the chamber for another 75 Vana'diel days."

...

. . .

. . . . . . .

SONOFABITCH

I actually said that loud enough at the time that my Mom thought I hurt myself.

I start looking around for some other members that might have full sets to no avail. With no way to do Odin now, I'm forced to change to a diff. room and create probably one of the biggest buzzkills I've ever been responsible for.

So how did it get to that point?

Like this:

Because I'm currently the only person manning the mules for Obsidian's einherjar runs, I got myself into the habit of minimizing the amount of time I spend getting a lamp to them. This means, when I get them into Hazhalm, I get Qtipus targeted from each mule, place them close enough to the door so that when I hit F8 to target it, I'm not targeting someone's wyvern (yes I know about /ignorepet, see how well you remember htat across 3 accounts that are typically logging in as guest), with the menu open and on "Trade" to accept the trade request Qtipus gives them.

The same thing applies to when one of the mules has to break the lamp. I'll park them by the door with all the dialog boxes cycled through until it's at the final confirm before the Smoldering Lamp gets turned into a Glowing Lamp. I'll even go so far as to have "/item "Glowing Lamp" [me]" in my chat cycle so I can just scroll back through my previous entries to break the glass while I'm actually trading to someone else.

What happened last night was I mashed the enter key by accident on the keyboard controlling Dantess. One busted lamp later, Dantess cannot enter for 72 hours and instead of Odin, we're doing T1 since a different mule needed it and we're starting about 10 minutes AFTER we should have finished.

Awesome fucking night I tell you.

Odin's postponed a week. We could have gone in on Saturday, but we have such a large population that can only go on Saturday or only go on Tuesday that I'd probably get lynched if I did Odin a third Saturday in a row.

At the very least, the feathers weren't eaten and it gives us a chance to have a different set of feathers in place should I screw up again.

I do know this...

If 2 E.Bodies and a V.Fork drop next week, there will probably be a unanimous vote for me to fuck up every Odin like that.

2 comments:

  1. Well our Nyzul group saw to Askar drops after this fiasco so I think Lect, Aray and Jamel would agree you need to fuck up more often...

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1 E body and 1 Valkyrie Fork seems close enough...

    ReplyDelete

Qtipus' Information

FFXI subscriber since NA release.