Friday, February 19, 2010

Something Different

It's amazing how little I pay attention to when I'm wrapped up in FFXI. Since fixing that Xbox 360 of my brother-in-law's, I've been absorbed in a number of games. On top of that, I've managed to start paying more attention to the media (while bored at work).

I'm starting to think this was the reason I used to be so short-tempered. The sheer number of idiots that get cameras shoved into their faces seriously pisses me off to no end. Here are a few examples:

Sarah Palin

Does this woman have any credibility left? She's done things most people can only dream of doing, and for that, she should be commended, but really, getting hooked by an episode of "Family Guy"? She had this to say about it on her Facebook Fanpage:

People are asking me to comment on yesterday’s Fox show that felt like another kick in the gut. Bristol was one who asked what I thought of the show that mocked her baby brother, Trig (and/or others with special needs), in an episode yesterday. Instead of answering, I asked her what she thought. Here is her conscientious reply, which is a much more restrained and gracious statement than I want to make about an issue that begs the question, “when is enough, enough?”:


And her daughter, Bristol's response:

When you’re the son or daughter of a public figure, you have to develop thick skin. My siblings and I all have that, but insults directed at our youngest brother hurt too much for us to remain silent. People with special needs face challenges that many of us will never confront, and yet they are some of the kindest and most loving people you’ll ever meet. Their lives are difficult enough as it is, so why would anyone want to make their lives more difficult by mocking them? As a culture, shouldn’t we be more compassionate to innocent people – especially those who are less fortunate? Shouldn’t we be willing to say that some things just are not funny? Are there any limits to what some people will do or say in regards to my little brother or others in the special needs community? If the writers of a particularly pathetic cartoon show thought they were being clever in mocking my brother and my family yesterday, they failed. All they proved is that they’re heartless jerks. - Bristol Palin”


Anyone else want to bet that Bristol watched and enjoyed "Family Guy" before she became the poster child of Pro-Life, Non-Wedlocked, Teen Mothers?

Oh...and nevermind the fact that the actress playing the part that offended the Palin family HAS DOWN SYNDROME HERSELF. That would be one Andrea Friedman. She politely sent this email in:

My name is Andrea Fay Friedman. I was born with Down syndrome. I played the role of Ellen on the "Extra Large Medium" episode of Family Guy that was broadcast on Valentine's day. Although they gave me red hair on the show, I am really a blonde. I also wore a red wig for my role in " Smudge" but I was a blonde in "Life Goes On". I guess former Governor Palin does not have a sense of humor. I thought the line "I am the daughter of the former governor of Alaska" was very funny. I think the word is "sarcasm".


In my family we think laughing is good. My parents raised me to have a sense of humor and to live a normal life. My mother did not carry me around under her arm like a loaf of French bread the way former Governor Palin carries her son Trig around looking for sympathy and votes.


OK, so now what's Palin's next step? She just got flamed and she apparently is fond of responding to each and every flame hurled her way publicly. Not only that, the person flaming her has Down Syndrome and is apparently a very accomplished career woman.

In typical Palin fashion...

Open Mouth - Insert Foot.

(There's even rumor that Trig isn't Palin's baby to begin with.)

Who knows what to believe though. I do know this. Anyone who has repeatedly made the dumb public mistakes that she has only has the camera put on her for the same reason a lot of people tune in to watch Hockey or Nascar.

They want to see the fight or the crash.

Tiger Woods

The Golf Writers Association of America is boycotted the "press conference" Tiger Woods had today.

Yeah ok. Boycott a Tiger Woods appearance that you can't enter anyway. C'mon. This "statement" Woods made today was his first public appearance since Tiger-Gate went down and you guys are pissed off that you can't get in there and grill him for the salacious details.

Since Thanksgiving, there's been nothing but Tiger Woods bullshit all over the TV. The thing that perturbs me the most about it is that it apparently has come as this huge surprise that he wasn't loyal to his wife.

Really? Show me someone with his kind of money that's loyal to only one person (other than himself) in marriage. When I see organizations like the GWAA and hear other news outlets ripping Woods for not letting them grill him about his issues, I really only have one thing that comes to mind:



It's not enough that these guys just want something to fill the air time with, but these guys also want stories that will give them raises.

I WAS THE GUY THAT GOT THE FIRST QUESTION IN TO WOODS!

Don't give me this bullshit about Woods' moral obligation to stand up there and take questions about his personal life. If you're one of the people that liked Woods because of his squeaky clean image, then you just set yourself up to be disappointed. You don't go out to buy products he sponsors because he's sponsoring them. You don't build your life around Tiger Woods.

Well, some media pundits do, but once that cash cow is done, they just move on to a different one to suck dry.

People liked the guy because he dominated his profession. Up to this point in his career, he's been better than anyone else who ever played the game. On top of that, what percentage of the global population actually gave a shit about Golf until Woods showed up and killed the rest of the field?

His affairs/cheating/immorality are none of our business, public figure or not.

OH BUT IF HE'D CHEAT ON HIS WIFE IT MAKES HIM A COMPLETELY DISHONEST PERSON.

No it doesn't. It makes him a flawed human. Show me a perfect one and I'll take back everything I've said about him. He only owes his family, close friends and whoever else he felt the need to use his putting wedge with a few inches from the hole an apology.

When you have that kind of money and one of the most globally familiar faces around the planet, anyone from Steak N' Shake employees to Goldman-Sachs reps are going to be throwing themselves at you trying to get a piece of your pie. The only thing I'm surprised at is how well he kept it hidden cause I damn sure know it's been going on a very long time.

The media just needs to cool it's jets. No pie for you.

No three-year old temper tantrums about it either or no supper on top of that.

1 comment:

  1. I see Bristol's comment as well thought out, eloquently spoken, and appropriate. The political consultant who wrote it deserves a raise. Some things just aren't funny. Make fun of fat people and mormons all you like, those are choices we make, but joking about race and mental handicaps and rape doesn't work. And people who tell dead baby jokes need to get neutered with a cheese grater. :)

    --cele

    ReplyDelete

Qtipus' Information

FFXI subscriber since NA release.