Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Update(s)

Super busy the past couple weeks during the day, so haven't had much time to really sit down and put too many of my thoughts out here on the web. Now that I have a little time, here's several updates on...erm...updates.

FFXI Version Update

A couple Mondays ago, the March update finally happened. Included in this that's really noteworthy are:

Trial of the Magians

This was probably one of the bigger pieces of news that came out of Vanafest 2010. A way to upgrade your existing gear. While I tend to think of this as a way for SE to avoid having to implement more gear for levels 76+, it's also a way for people to extend the life of gear they fear will become completely obsolete if/when SE does decide to release gear that's 76+.

While I'm of the mindset that all gear is made to become obsolete, there are two particular sets of gear that you just don't make obsolete. Relic and Mythic weapons (some would argue Salvage bodies). SE seems to have realized this fact and included them in the ability to "upgrade" through Trial of the Magians.

They announced this facet of it at Vanafest, so this was something I eagerly waited for with a large degree of trepidation. Turns out, my initial fears were correct.

I had a feeling they were going to make the upgrades significant enough to where you didn't want to pass them up, but in order to obtain them, you were going to have to do something insanely long and arduous. This is SE after all. Repeating the same task for years on end is a fundamental question that's asked when designing new content.

"How many years do we want this to take?"

And yes, I get it's a business and you don't keep accounts active if they don't have some long term goal to work for.

I haven't looked that far into the other normal weapon paths, but when I see:

Trial 1039: Use Geirskogul 1500 times on Amorphs.

I groan a bit, but just get to work. It's not that much worse than spamming skill chains for new weapon skills.

However, when I see:

Trial 1040: Use Geirskogul to land the kill shot 1500 times on Lizards.

That's just about where I draw the line.

Are you fucking kidding me? Not only do you have to do that on monsters that give xp, but you're likely fighting things that will end up being able to kill you.

And this is just the first 2 stages in the Gungnir path. What's next?

Trial 1041: Use Geirskogul to land the kill shot 1500 times on the Dynamis Lord on Lightsday while entering the zone during double ice weather?

Sick and sadistic SE. Relic and Mythic owners have already literally busted their asses for at least a year trying to complete the quest to even obtain a relic and now the weapons aren't even a finished product when you obtain them. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea behind the Magian trials, I just don't think relic/mythics should have the asinine quests that they do when it's possible that a normal magian weapon (which often times rivals a relic in terms of stats) can be done in a fraction of the time.

Adding to this frustration is a little feature SE finally decided to implement where your progress is announced via /echo. I'm glad it's there in a way so I'm not having to constantly check to see if an elemental resistance has worn off, but at the same time...

...it's like counting the mile markers down on a cross-country trip...

VNMs

This looks like it's a lot of fun and easy to set up and organize. So much so, that I've added it to the list of events Obsidian will start doing. It seems to be a very well thought out series of events that don't actually eat up tons of time unless you want to spam the piss out of them.

What I learned pretty quickly is that in a large group, this can turn into a clusterfuck really quick if everyone's running around /healing to track down the critter their crystal is currently tiered with. Also learned pretty quick that Krabkatoa is sirius biznez.

We had our first official run with them last Saturday in Obsidian, which brings me to...

Obsidian Expansion

I've discussed this for a while and tried to beat info out of people as to how we want to do this. While we've pretty much got the logical structure down and sky runs have already started, the website (which is the focal point of all our organization abilities and whatnot) is what's going to take the most work. This is also hindered by the fact that Gawayne has a real life complete with career and girlfriend.

So I've been doing what I can to take some of the workload off of him. Since this job of mine requires that I learn about database programming, Gawayne was nice enough to give me access to the back end of the Obsidian databases and allow me to piddle around setting up the table structures and whatnot. It's relatively mundane work, but I'm learning pretty quickly where a lot of the pitfalls with database programming are.

The main idea around the overhaul of the website is to make it a lot more flexible. When Gawayne originally set it up, it had one purpose and no one had any intentions of expanding it beyond that purpose. When Einherjar came along, a lot of the code that was used for Dynamis could be re-used for Einherjar, but that required him to create an entirely new set of tables. So right now, the back end of the website is essentially two sets of the same tables. If we wanted to add events, that means we end up having to create that whole new table set, etc etc.

So we wanted to build the new site in a manner that allows us to make a few simple changes to some tables when new events come along. We also wanted to allow for FFXIV things. As of this post, a lot of the tables are done. I wouldn't venture to guess what percentage are done since it's become rather apparent to me that there's always something you think of when you're working on something else, but I'd be willing to say a lot of the main tables are finished just waiting on Gawayne to tie it all together with code.

As far as the "new" events with Obsidian are concerned, we've had decent turnout for all of them. While some haven't had as many as I originally hoped and others have had more than I expected, it's at least become very clear to me there's a demand for it still and if we do it right, we should be good for a while. :)

5 comments:

  1. The Trials honestly aren't that much easier on the elemental side of the house either. I finished the first of my many trials killing 100 Lizards during any weather, I averaged about 10 an hour. Doing the math stuff on these and one can be looking at a 60-80 hour commitment per weapon, depending on the mobs. For you, I happen to know of a place that has 11 level 56-59 Lizards (in other words, you gotta fuck up big time to die) that respawn every 16 minutes. Again with the maths, you could conceivably finish that off in less than 30 hours, with the Amorphs I'm guessing you are looking at around 50 hours total. Personally, I'd rather have mobs to whack at than stand around waiting on weather...

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1500 Kill shots on lizards. 11 of them popping every 16 minutes means I'm going to have approx 41-42 of them per hour at 100% Acc. Which means I'll spend a non-stop 36-37 hours barring no interruptions or mistakes.

    1500 Geirskoguls on Amorphs isn't as tedious. There's 43 spawns down in Bostaunieux Oubliette that I can go rape face with and probably get it done in under 10 hours.

    The point though was that I didn't think SE should make relic holders go through that amount of bullshit and it makes me fearful of what happens when they release the next phases in Magian. Someone can essentially get the equivalent to a relic weapon in a fraction of the time now while the guy who spent 1-2 years or more trying to farm/craft enough gil to get a minimum of 15,100 coins has to essentially do more than the rest of the Magian quests require.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If my NIN can go through all 11 in under 15 mins then I'm sure your DRG can, just saying.

    The point I was making though is that Relic holders won't have to put in as much time on their upgrades as non-Relic holders. Further, aside from DPS, even the best of the new Magians can't hold a candle to the best of the Relics (Mythics on the other hand...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oathkeeper path for Polearm:

    Start off with DMG 87, Delay 492.

    If I'm reading it correctly, you end up with:

    DMG 99 Att+7, Delay 492.

    People shouldn't fool themselves into believing the 2.5x multiplier kicks in enough to make a huge difference. It kicks in less than 5% of the time. There's no aftermath with Gungnir that's going to increase damage output. The WS modifier for Geirskogul is useless (AGI).

    For compraison:

    V.Fork: DMG 96, Delay 492, Store TP+3, DA+3
    Gungnir: DMG 100, Delay 492, Weakens Defense

    If V.Fork could keep up with Gungnir with the right TP build, Oathkeeper would definitely outdo it unlocked to the current max. Hell, it may even keep up with Gungnir's base damage 107 if the formulas for damage are to be believed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oathkeeper doesn't get Atk +7 in the final Augment, just DMG +12. That aside, I have to admit it comes very close to a non-augmented Gungnir. Honestly though, if I were a DRG with no Relic, I'd be after an augmented Stirbog, DMG 92, Delay 480, STR +4 and Attack +15 looks very appealing.

    ReplyDelete

Qtipus' Information

FFXI subscriber since NA release.